The Munster Chamber of Commerce General Membership Meetings take place the 2nd Thursday of every month. The locations vary to include Munster Chamber of Commerce members with banquet venues. All members and their staff are invited and encouraged to attend.
The Munster Chamber of Commerce utilizes the strength of volunteer business and civic leaders to build success of our business community and promote economic growth.
The Munster Chamber of Commerce is a united group of local business and civic leaders who volunteer their time and resources to advance the wealth and stability of the business community through active networking, mentorship, and entrepreneurial education.
Munster’s tiny business community formed a Chamber of Commerce in May 1925, at an open meeting chaired by William Terpstra. A month later the new Munster Chamber of Commerce invited the general public to discuss local problems and potential civic projects at its first meeting. Henry Daugherty presided over a newly organized Junior Chamber of Commerce two years later. In 1928 almost three hundred guests attended the Chamber’s annual dinner meeting at Town Hall.
The Chamber, which seems to have been an open community organization, focused its attention on town-related affairs, but it also participated in the county-wide good roads movement. Munster representatives joined committees formed by the Chambers from the larger cities, endorsed road improvements, assisted the nearly paralyzed North Township Trustee’s Road construction program, and lobbied for increased highway taxes.
In December 1934, the Chamber fought the depression by sponsoring a “Community Dinner”, prepared by the ladies of the Home Bureau. A hungry crowd of 750 demolished everything from the main course (Munster rabbit, then called “Hoover Hogs”) to dessert. Mrs. William Harder recalled making cole slaw in wash tubs for the occasion. A year later the Chamber issued a formal invitation to a second and last community feast at the Town Hall. The menu for that occasion featured rare delicacies, including five hundred pounds of venison, a north woods bear executed by a Chamber of Commerce hunting team, and several other items. Practically the entire population of Munster assembled to devour every scrap.
- Annual Dinner – Celebrates our Citizen of the Year, Volunteer of the Year, and Beautification Awards. A glamorous evening of recognition and networking.
- Annual Golf Outing - Munster Chamber of Commerce Golf Outing brings together local business leaders for a day of networking and friendly competition.
- Fall in Love with your Business Vendor Fair - This event is a prime opportunity for you to connect with fellow businesses, engage with potential customers, and showcase your products and services.
- Summer Event – Celebrate summer with food, fun and entertainment.
- Night the Light – Ring in the festive season with a collaboration of civic organizations in a community event.
- Monthly Membership Meetings and Monthly Coffee Hours – Local business professionals’ network, exchange ideas, and build valuable connections.